When I asked Zach what he wanted me to bake for his birthday, he didn’t hesitate a second.
Well, I hit pinterest right away and started looking for inspiration. I couldn’t bake just ANY coffee cake, it had to be special if it was going to be a birthday cake.
Well guys…I think I found special. Zach said that this was his favorite thing that I have baked yet (but that could be because I didn’t do anything to healthify it).
I, of course, did make a few tweeks to make it my own, but overall was inspired by this post
Either way, this Caramel and Chocolate Coffee Cake was AMAZING and gone in less than 48 hours. Totally Worth it.
Caramel and Chocolate Coffee Cake
- 1 and 3/4 cups All Purpose Flour
- 1 envelope of yeast
- 2 tablespoons of sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 3/4 cup warm milk (120-130 degrees)
- 1/4 cup of melted butter (1/2 a stick)
- 1 egg
- 9 ounces of caramels (I used Sprouts brand)
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup of All Purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons of butter
- 1/4 small chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon of milk
- Mix the flour, sugar, salt and yeast in a large bowl until eventually distributed.
- Add the milk, butter and eggs until smooth.
- Set aside 10 caramels, then cut up the rest into small pieces and stir them into the mixture
- Put the dough into a greased 8 by 8 pan
- In a seperate bowl, mix the brown sugar, flour, and butter together until it makes a crumble (I recommend breaking up the butter into small pieces so it combines to make a crumble).
- Add chocolate chips to the top and then set aside for 30 minutes to rise
- After 30 minutes, back at 350 for 25-35 minutes depending. It is ready when a toothpick comes out clean and the top is slightly browned.
- When the cake is cooled, combine the remaining 10 caramels and milk in a microwave safe container and melt them together (45 seconds – 1 minute).
- Drizzle this over the top and serve immediately.
Seriously, this is as good as it sounds and looks. TRY IT!