Umm — hello heaven.
To say this cookie was a success would be an understatement :). I found myself continuing to return for “just one more sliver” and couldn’t stop. Dangerous, let’s just put it that way! At least I healthified it a bit!
My original inspiration for this cookie was from a fellow AWESOME healthy living blogger, Sarah @ SweetMiles. She posted this late in January and I couldn’t stop thinking about it. The ingredients are simple, and I had basically all of them on hand. This cookie was the PERFECT way to treat myself during a crazy week!
Cast Iron Skillet Cookie
- 1 stick of softened butter
- 1 whole egg
- 1 tsp of vanilla
- pinch of baking soda
- pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup of sugar
- 1/2 cup of natural applesauce
- 1 1/4 cup of Whole Wheat pastry flour
- 1/2 cup of chocolate chips
- 5 caramel pieces cut into quarters
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Butter your pan with the wrapper from your stick of butter OR with butter itself
- Combine softened butter and sugar and applesauce until well incorporated
- Add egg, vanilla and salt to the mxture
- Mix the dry ingredients together in a separate bowl
- Incorporate the dry into the wet ingredients
- Add the chocolate and caramel
- Bake for 25-27 minutes at 350
Yes, this is a healthified cookie — but it’s a darn good one. Zach and I were discussing it and using the Whole Wheat PASTRY flour still gave it the a bit of the whole wheat flavor, but the “pastry” density. I loved it!