Before I get down to the good stuff, I want to take care of business quickly.
Workout of the Day: Treadmill 5k shake out run
Easy and done. Felt surprisingly good besides a few moments in the beginning, but I’m not too worried about that. Race, here I come 🙂
The Good Stuff 🙂
Alright — so you all have seen pictures for the past few days about these blondies I baked Zach as a treat for coming home from his business trip. My inspiration came from pinterest, and specifically this recipe. I used it as inspiration and ran with it.
Now I am a huge fan of s’mores and most things even hinting at the flavor, so I was pretty confident this one would be a good one.
yields 24 blondies, or two 8 in round pans
- 1 1/4 cup oat flour
- 1 cup of AP flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup of applesauce
- 1 cup of brown sugar
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 egg whites
- 4 s’mores pop tarts with the crusts cut off
- 1 cup of chocolate chips
- 3 graham crackers, crushed
- 3/4 cup vanilla mallow bits
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease and prepare pan(s)
- In a medium bowl, whisk or combine the flour, baking soda and salt
- In a large bowl, combine applesauce, sugars and vanilla.
- Add egg whites and mix well
- Gradually add the dry ingredients from medium bowl into the larger bowl
- Stir in the pop tars, chocolate chips, graham crackers and mallow bits, slowly incorporating them gently into the batter
- Pour into prepared pan(s)
- Bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes
- Cool and enjoy!
Now, I’ll be the first to say I was baking with ingredients that I never have, or thought I would
But I was open minded…
I did healthify the mix a bit (like I Do), but even Zach admitted you couldn’t really tell that the batter was healthified much. His first response to these treats was
You definitely got the s’mores flavor.
If you like s’mores, you will definitely like these.
I’m going to be completely honest with you and say they weren’t my absolute favorite treats in the world, but they were good — I mean I’ve been eating them for 4 days straight :), so trust me, it’s not that I DIDN’T like them.
I think it was just that I’m picky with baking and I the artificial ingredients threw me off a bit. BUT — I do think these would be a hit at any Fall part of bon fire!
Somebody else should definitely try these and let me know their thoughts 🙂 I’d be very curious 🙂